Direct optic bottom reading
Cell-based fluorescence and luminescence assays profit substantially from measurements performed from the bottom of the well. This reduces the distance between the cell layer and the detector, minimizing the effect of the cell culture medium.
Calcium signaling (FURA-2, FLUO-3 / 4/8 , Indo, etc.) and transcription assays (beta-lactamase, GeneBLAzer ® , etc.) need sensitive bottom reading to be properly measured. In addition, GFP, luciferase, and CFP / YFP FRET assays all achieve better results when being measured from the bottom of the well.
Unlike conventional microplate readers, all BMG LABTECH readers require no displacement or installation of additional hardware (dichroics, apertures, filters or mirrors) when switching between top and bottom reading modes.
Additionally, the PHERAstar ® FSX and the CLARIOstar ® microplate readers are equipped with the most sophisticated bottom reading optical system currently available: direct optic bottom reading. Direct optic bottom reading offers a direct, free air optical path to the bottom of the microplate, eliminating the need for fiber optic bundles or light guides. The plate readers use a series of software controlled, motor-driven mirrors that directly focus the light on the bottom or top of the plate. This significantly reduces the light loss associated to fiber optics or light guides and results in higher signals.
The PHERAstar ® FSX direct optic bottom reading combined with Simultaneous Dual Emission detection allows for unmatched results on Thermo Fisher´s Beta-lactamase assays (BLA), such as LiveBLAzer ® and GeneBLAzer ® .
Advantages of BMG LABTECH's bottom reading
- Simply switch between top and bottom reading within the control software (all readers)
- No hardware displacement necessary (all readers)
- No additional dichroics, mirrors, filters, or lens needed (all readers)
- Well Scanning for high resolution cell layer detection (all readers)
- High-end direct optic bottom reading (available on PHERAstar FSX and CLARIOstar)
- Automatic Z-height focusing with 0.1 mm resolution (available on PHERAstar FSX and CLARIOstar)
- Simultaneous Dual Emission detection for dual-emission based assays (available on PHERAstar FSX )